How To Install Raspbian On an SD Card – Mac OSX
Installing Raspbian on an SD Card using A Mac is super simple… Trust me, don’t be put off by the fact you have to use command line all you have to do is copy and paste…
Assuming you already have a copy of rasbian downloaded which you can get from here.
- Step 1: Insert your SD Card into your Mac, and open up Disk Utility in Utilities (⇧⌘U).
- Step 2: We need to format the SD Card, Select the SD Card in the left-handmenu > under the Erase tab select ExFat as the format and the name of the disk can be left as the default one.
- Step 3: Next we need to eject the SD Card that we have just formatted (Right click > Eject)
- Step 4: Open up Terminal, and type “df -h”
- Step 5: Remount the SD Card, and run the command (df -h) again in the Terminal. This should tell us which disk is the SD Card, for example mine is /dev/disk3s1.
- Step 6: In the Terminal unmount the SD Card using the command “diskutil unmount /dev/”yourDisk” ” for example mine would be diskutil unmount /dev/disk3s1
- Step 7: Type: “dd bs=1m if=~/”directoryPathToYourFile” of=/dev/”yourDisk”” Into the command line BUT add an “r” in front of the disk name and remove the last two characters, this is so that we install the image on to the full SD Card and not a partition. For example mine would be dd bs=1m if=~/Desktop/2015-01-31-raspbian.img of=/dev/rdisk3 .
- If it returns permission denied, try it again but add sudo in front of the command, it will prompt you for your Mac password.
- Once complete (it takes a while, make a brew whilst you wait) your terminal should look like this:
- Booooom! Congratulations You have successfully installed Raspian on your SD Card using a Mac.